Back to old ways
In Windows 98, when a menu is too tall to fit on your screen, you will see a scroll arrow at the bottom, allowing you to scroll further down. In Windows 95, a second menu would appear next to the first, where the entries which would otherwise not fit on your screen would be displayed. For Windows 95 like behaviour in Windows 98:
1. Start the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced.
3. Right-click an open area in the right pane and select New > String Value.
4. Name it StartMenuScrollPrograms.
5. Double-click this entry and add the value false.
6. Exit the registry editor.
To restore Windows 98 behavior, simply change the value of StartMenuScrollPrograms to true.